Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC)
Today’s Research. Tomorrow’s Medicine.
The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Summary of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) Operations Leader or designate and working within the context of a research culture and in accordance with established policies and procedures, vision and values of the Genome Sciences Centre (GSC), the Laboratory Coordinator coordinates a variety of activities within the GSC Laboratory, including maintaining and implementing safety and security policies, and purchasing laboratory supplies, equipment and services.
Scope and Complexity
The Laboratory Coordinator is a key member of the GSC and provides leadership and direction to staff within the area of providing day to day guidance and ensuring an effective operation is maintained and efficient services are provided. Collaborates and facilitates with other GSC staff and Agency staff on issues impacting the laboratory.
The Laboratory Coordinator operates in a complex research environment where considerable judgement and problem solving is used to develop solutions to operational issues within the laboratory. This position ensures processes and standards are in place to assist, clarify and guide GSC staff to make sound operational decisions.
Guidelines for this role are in the form of policy statements with direction on overall objectives received from the Operations Leader.
Internal contacts include ongoing communication with a wide variety of staff at various levels within the GSC and the Agency. Contact primarily involves interaction with GSC management staff and staff from Purchasing, Housekeeping, Stores, Plant Maintenance, Security, Finance and Research Centre Scientists. The Laboratory Coordinator provides information and guides others in a specialized area of expertise to define, clarify and provide assistance to achieve operational goals.
External contacts include ongoing contact with a variety of outside individuals and agencies such as vendors, staff from the University of British Columbia (UBC) including staff from the Department of Medical Genetics, Biotech Labs, Finance and Co-op Education and staff from the Simon Fraser University, the University of Victoria and from Genome B.C. Contact primarily involves obtaining and exchanging information related to contracting, materials sourcing and outreach.
- Participates in the formulation of goals and objectives and the setting of policies and procedures for the Laboratory as a key member of the management team. Upon approval implements approved policies and procedures.
- Implements safety and security policies and procedures in accordance with current regulations regarding laboratory working conditions. Communicates information to staff and maintains related records.
- Oversees the day to day operation of the laboratory. Establishes priorities and provides guidance and technical advice by facilitating resolutions and by monitoring work activities to ensure the standards of the area are maintained. Monitors the work of the area to ensure the quality and quantity of services are being provided.
- Provides leadership to staff. Responsibilities include supporting staff as a mentor and facilitator, establishing clear definitions of responsibilities for each employee, identifying staff education/development needs and developing, implementing and evaluating orientation, training and education programs. Monitors performance, provides ongoing feedback, encourages continuous improvement and increased staff morale.
- Participates in operational recruitment, including interviews and providing feedback on prospective hires.
- Coordinates access control to various locations in accordance with departmental and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in the on-boarding of new GSC staff in coordination with the Operations Leader, ensuring physical space is allocated and documentation via computer databases is maintained.
- Maintains policies and procedures for purchasing equipment and supplies for the GSC in accordance with BCCA policies, including initiating new policies and procedures for approval and revising existing policies and procedures. Liaises with purchasing staff of the BCCA to complete orders. Maintains documentation for equipment inventory through methods such as updating computer databases.
- Participates in re-modelling projects or space issues within the laboratory in coordination with the Operations Leader.
- Provides orientations for housekeeping staff regarding expected standards, and safety and operational policies of the laboratories.
- Negotiates with suppliers and vendors for financially optimal purchases, equipment leasing and consumable supply contracts. Monitors cost, schedule and scope of contracts to ensure quality and quantity at best value. Develops new supply sources where vendor and suppliers do not meet the needs of the GSC.
- Responds to requests for maintenance and repair of equipment by reviewing the work needed and arranging for the appropriate repair person to complete the work by completing a repair requisition and calling the service department of the appropriate company. At completion, ensures the work has been completed satisfactorily
- Participates in a variety of committees including the safety committee.
- Participates in emergency on-call rotations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, in cooperation with lab coordinators
Bachelor’s degree (preferably in life sciences) plus three (3) years of experience in a research or laboratory environment.
Strong interpersonal skills coupled with excellent written and oral communication skills. Demonstrable judgement and discretion. Ability to prioritize and exercise initiative. Ability to work under pressure with a diverse group of persons, policies and procedures. Knowledge of a variety of computerized software products such as word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, scheduling, e-mail and internet. Ability to work as a team member. Detail oriented. Problem solving capabilities. Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using Job Reference No: PC_E00812_2021_08_11in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain online until filled.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on a temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting.