Job Reference No: RPC2_R00026_2021_07_06
Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) is a state-of-the-art, large scale, high throughput, clinically accredited genomics and bioinformatics facility. If you have a Bachelor's degree in Health Information Science or Computer Science—along with experience in software/system project planning, analysis and implementation—this is your opportunity to join our team as a Business Analyst providing support for cutting-edge technology projects!
Reporting to the Head of Quality and Regulatory Affairs, the Business Analyst and Project Support (BA) leads the analysis and documentation of business requirements to support projects for designated programs and services. The successful candidate for this position will work in close collaboration with other stakeholders to develop business systems enhancements, business solutions, or business processes including GSC’s bioinformatics processes. The BA functions as a Subject Matter Expert to the project team through performing gap analysis of systems and business process mapping including the identification of linkages to other business systems.
The BA position is anchored within a team of exceptional scientists, computational biologists and programmers, which collaborate directly on the development of robust, cost efficient and competitive processes for new targeted and precision medicine analytical pipelines. By working within the GSCs bioinformatics facility, you will develop close relationships with world-renown computational and genome science technologists, cancer researchers and medical scientists; have access to one of the most robust computational and next generation genome sequencing technology facilities in Canada, all while living in one of the most beautiful, diverse and eclectic cities in the world. Your work will help to save lives and contribute to a world free from the fear of cancer.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide key contributions to the development of solutions to ensure that business processes and/or project deliverables are consistent, accurate and timely.
- Participate in and contribute to strategic planning.
- Develop project plans for the design, development and implementation of new business processes; support the transition from current systems, practices and processes to an integrated system, common practices and standardized processes with current or improved functionality.
- Ensure key results are achieved in accordance with the project plan by analyzing current business systems and processes, generating ideas and formulating recommendations/options, and supporting members of the project in prioritizing tasks and reaching decisions that are within project scope and timelines.
- Implement or contribute to the implementation of effective processes to assess project risks, identify risk mitigation strategies and monitor risk throughout the project lifecycle. Support the Managers/Team Leads by providing regular updates on the progress as well as any areas of risk associated with the completion of the project both within the project scope and the timeline. Provide professional expertise to staff, departments, stakeholders, and guidance regarding standard process for project management.
- Coordinate and participate in the analysis, acceptance criteria definition, development, testing, training, implementation and maintenance phases of assigned bioinformatics projects. Carry out post-implementation reviews of systems and make recommendations for improvements.
- Utilize formal data gathering techniques and analysis tools such as flowcharts, diagrams, dashboards, roles and responsibility matrix (RACI) and work effort estimates. Provide details of estimated implementation costs including associated staffing requirements.
- Review, analyze and define current/future state processes, determine user and/or department requirements and contribute to the development of specifications and testing for all identified development, system modifications and installations. Perform impact analyses.
- Provide user support, advice, guidance and orientation in situations that require interpretation and judgement. Develop content, as required, for training modules; deliver training and provide guidance to system users and department staff. Develop and maintain various business processes, policies and procedures, as well as reference documentation such as user instructions, manuals and reference materials.
- Provide support to colleagues and users during the development, maintenance and operation of various computer systems by performing duties such as troubleshooting system software problems and testing alternative solutions.
- Participate in the formal data collection and analysis to help identify system deficiencies and/or operational inefficiencies in order to report and develop new ways of improving business efficiencies including the data analysis related to business case developments, project proposals and other key strategic and transformative initiatives.
- Assemble, create and maintain information systems technical and operational documentation according to departmental standards.
- Assist with preparation of Requests for Information/Proposal, development of evaluation processes and tools, and evaluation of vendor responses by serving on working groups, documenting detailed requirements and coordinating project team and vendor communications.
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Health Information Science, Computer Science or a related discipline—OR relevant related experience that includes software/system project planning, analysis and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out business process mapping and fit gap analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability manage multiple interactions with multiple groups while working on multiple issues at the same time.
- Superior analytical, problem-solving and system analysis skills.
- Proven ability to plan and execute projects with stringent timelines.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide professional expertise to staff, departments and stakeholders, and guidance regarding standard processes for software/computer system related project management.
- Demonstrated ability to provide user support, advice and training, and other user liaison services.
- Public Service and Health Sector experience and knowledge are an asset.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using Business Analyst and Project Support in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain open until filled.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely within British Columbia on a temporary basis with an ability to come to the normal workplace within reasonable notice. This restriction would be re-evaluated after finalization of reopening plans.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
About the GSC
Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC)
Today’s Research. Tomorrow’s Medicine.
The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.