Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC)
Today’s Research. Tomorrow’s Medicine.
The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No: RA 2_R00004_2021_04_14
Working as part of the proteomics core facility, the individual will assist in the day-to-day operation of the core. This individual will operate and maintain the hardware and software present in the core facility. In addition, this individual will work together with the Facility Manager and users to plan, coordinate, conduct and report on assigned research projects. Key responsibilities of the individual will include communication with colleagues and collaborators for project planning and results dissemination, preparation of samples for proteomic and/or metabolomic analysis, as well as basic mass spectrometry data analysis.
Key accountabilities include:
- Performs a variety of established technical procedures according to written protocols.
- Performs experiments by following established laboratory procedures according to written protocols.
- Records results, including computer data entry.
- Provides input regarding modification of procedures as requested by the Department Head, Principal Investigator, or designate.
- Maintains and stores cell lines and primary cultures.
- Maintains and stores test materials and products.
- Maintains inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment.
- May demonstrate work methods or procedures to less experienced assistants as designated.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Liaising with collaborators to coordinate sample submission
- Preparing samples for proteomic analysis
- Analyzing the samples on facility instrumentation
- Operating and maintaining facility instrumentation
- Performing initial mass spectrometry data analysis
- Maintaining logs of samples analyzed and instrument use
- Communicating results to lab members as well as collaborators
The successful candidate is expected to have a level of education, training, and experience equivalent to graduation from a recognized technical program in an appropriate discipline or similar; plus two (2) years of recent related experience in a research laboratory.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the names of three referees willing to provide letters of reference. The cover letter should include a brief description of your previous research experience and long-term career goals. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on a temporary basis.