The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Are you an excellent communicator with passion for science and technology?
Do you have a knack for creative writing and design, with an eye for detail?
Can you translate technical language and jargon for non-scientific audiences?
The GSC is looking to add a Knowledge Translation Coordinator to its Knowledge Translation team. Reporting to the Head of Knowledge Translation, this position will support the development of materials, activities and events that help communicate the GSC’s research projects, collaborations and innovations to a variety of audiences, both scientifically literate and not.
- Coordinate the development of digital and print materials as well as activities and events in collaboration with the Knowledge Translation team, scientists, trainees, project managers and other staff members.
- Write, edit, design and proofread scientific and technical publications, as well as copy for non-scientific audiences including research summaries, web and social media content, multimedia, etc.
- Recommend strategies and develop plans, tools and practices for reaching new audiences in collaboration with the Head of KT and other project and program leaders.
- Monitor status and progress for KT activities to ensure quality and timeliness; provides relevant information and project progress reports.
- Propose and create compelling content (including design materials using Adobe Suite) for the web and social media related to the GSC’s research projects and programs, and technology platforms and services.
- Identify and evaluate objectives and project milestones; flag discrepancies for the attention for the Head of KT.
- Work with client relationship management software (Salesforce) to ensure timely and professional communications with stakeholders about research projects and scientific collaborations.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to completion of a Bachelor’s of Science (a Master’s or PhD is an asset) in biology, genetics or a related field from a recognized university plus a minimum of five (5) years of recent related experience in an academic or industry research setting (experience in the biotechnology sector is an asset).
Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in science communication, including the development of plans and strategies, print and digital materials, and event organization, for research, education, business, marketing, promotion and/or knowledge translation/transfer/mobilization/exchange purposes.
- Excellent command of the English language, and exceptional communications skills including in speech and writing; fluency with other languages is an asset.
- Experience and confidence in editing, proofreading and/or providing review and critique on the written work of both junior and senior staff members, including scientists and principal investigators.
- Understanding of Canadian scientific and research processes, including ethics, funding and peer-reviewed publication best practices.
- Fundamental computer literacy is mandatory, including familiarity with the Microsoft suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); experience with the Adobe Suite of products (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and/or with Client Relationship Management software (Salesforce) for business development purposes are very strong assets.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and activities within a fast-paced environment under pressure and to do so independently or cooperatively, optimistically and respectfully in a diverse and inclusive team environment.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for the next step will be contacted.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position will require working remotely on a temporary basis.