The GSC is a department of the BC Cancer Research Institute and a high-throughput genome sequencing facility. We are leaders in genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics in pursuit of novel treatment strategies for cancers and other diseases.
Among the world’s first genome centres to be established within a cancer clinic, for more than two decades our scientists and innovators have been designing and deploying cutting-edge technologies to benefit health and advance clinical research.
Among the GSC’s most significant accomplishments are the first publication to demonstrate the use of whole-genome sequencing to inform cancer treatment planning, the first published sequence of the SARS coronavirus genome and major contributions to the first physical map of the human genome as part of the Human Genome Project.
By joining the GSC you will become part of an exceptional and diverse team of scientists, clinicians, experts and professionals operating at the leading edge of clinical research. We look for people who share our core values—science, timeliness, respect—to join us on our mission to use genome science for the betterment of health and society.
Job Reference No.: GET_P00651_HSA 136840_2022_11_24
Reporting to the group leader and in accordance with established policies, standards and procedures, this position performs technical work related to the repair, maintenance, calibration, inspection and evaluation of genomics laboratory equipment.
This is a temporary full-time renewable union position.
- Repairs and maintains laboratory equipment related to high throughput genomics such as robotic liquid handlers (Hamilton Nimbus and Starlet, Janus), centrifuges, thermocyclers, sequencers, Barcode printers, Agilent bioanalysers, Speed vac, autoclave etc..
- Performs inspections, tests, troubleshooting, calibration and repair of equipment as necessary by methods such as identifying faults, disassembling, replacing parts, making adjustments or calibrations, reassembling and testing equipment to determine if functioning properly.Contacts and co-ordinates vendors and service representatives as necessary.
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment by methods such as visually inspecting equipment for signs of wear and/or malfunctions, cleaning, lubricating and replacing parts. Maintains records and revises standard operating procedures as required.
- Provides consultations and training to staff and demonstrates procedures to operators of equipment on use for optimal performance and safety.
- Communicates status and scheduling repairs and equipment moves with inter-team and department.
- Modifies, redesigns and/or fabricates equipment for specialized applications by reviewing specifications with appropriate personnel, writing specifications for new equipment/devices and/or changing system operating parameters.
- Participates in the identification of equipment needs, evaluates equipment based on these needs and makes recommendations on the purchase of various products to Leader(s).
- Programs new protocols on equipment including Hamilton liquid handler and tetrads as required..
- Documents repair and equipment related activities including report generation.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
Graduate of a recognized program in Biomedical Engineering Technology plus two (2) years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of similar laboratory equipment especially robot liquid handlers.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with all levels of staff.
- Able to adapt to changes in work and demonstrate initiative to prioritize, track and coordinate tasks around production needs.
- Demonstrated administrative, organizational and record keeping skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction and supervision.
- Experience with computer software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access and JIRA.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using Job Reference No: GET_P00651_HSA 136840_2022_11_24 in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain online until filled.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on a temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting.
We believe that equity, diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.